Dr Ismail Aby Jamal

Dr Ismail Aby Jamal
Born in Batu 10, Kg Lubok Bandan, Jementah, Segamat, Johor

Sunday, September 11, 2011

“Though I saw guns everywhere and heard gunshots, somehow I felt I was where I was meant to be. I believe God had chosen me and the rest to be in Somalia, to witness that whatever happens is not by chance but divine appointment”

Sunday September 11, 2011

Dying for a lollipop

By Melissa Ong

melissa.pollena@gmail.com

THE words Kan ek'n paar asseblief (Can I have some please?) kept echoing. Hundreds of desperate, malnourished children were squatting with outstretched arms, hoping that my tub of lollipops would be enough to go around.

As I distributed the sweets, my heart broke seeing them in such a dire state and tears trickled down my cheeks. Really, how much can a lollipop mean to me? Close to nothing as I can go to any candy store, choose and buy whatever I want. Just like many of you reading this.

It's been seven days since we returned safely from a truly life-changing mission. I remember the day my boss approached me, asking if I would consider going to Somalia on a humanitarian mission with the Putera 1Malaysia Club.

I gave a resounding “yes” as it had been my lifelong dream to report from such countries.

Unforgettable experience: Ong of ntv7 was among the Malaysian journalists who went on the mission to Somalia. Here, she and her cameraman are seen protected by soldiers during the trip.

Before I knew it, I was on the Royal Malaysian Air Force Hercules C-130, flying 24 hours to Somalia.

The six days spent on the war-stricken ground have made me appreciate life more. You cannot possibly imagine the emotions I felt as I witnessed tens of thousands of Somalis lying helpless in their makeshift “homes” made of cloth and plastic. They had fled their homes to the IDP (Internally Displaced Persons) camps to await international aid only to live in the barest conditions.

Children were dying of malnourishment as there was little food to go around; mothers had to make a heartbreaking choice leave their weakest children to die so that the stronger ones might have a fighting chance. The magnitude of suffering was just too great to bear.

Though I saw guns everywhere and heard gunshots, somehow I felt I was where I was meant to be. I believe God had chosen me and the rest to be in Somalia, to witness that whatever happens is not by chance but divine appointment. Through the experience, I truly discovered myself.

Now if I ever complain, I am reminded of famine-hit Somalia. I have matured as an individual and have so much to be thankful for. Life and death is in the hands of God. Our responsibility is to live our lives the best we can not tomorrow but right now, for the moment.

Ong posing with some of the Somalis who received aid from Malaysia. — Bernama

I was travelling in the same car as BernamaTV cameraman Noramfaizul Mohd Nor when he was shot by a stray bullet. We were just 200m away from our hostel when I heard a loud, deafening “bang”. I turned to my right to see Noramfaizul, whom we affectionately call Abang Faizul, unconscious and TV3 cameraman Abang Aji covered in blood.

I immediately shouted: “Gunshot.” Medical attention was given promptly but it was too late to save Abang Faizul. Our last memory of him was the laughter we shared in the car before the short journey back to our hostel.

I will always treasure that. I believe Abang Faizul would want us to continue our good work in Somalia and I would like to return to set up an IDP camp in his honour.

Many people have asked: Could the incident have been avoided if we had worn bullet-proof vests?

A bullet-proof vest may not necessarily guarantee safety as other measures must also be in place. If we journalists are assigned to do reporting in hostile countries, we need to have a proper checklist.

The authorities must ensure:

1) Appropriate training.

2) Vaccination in advance and not at the last minute.

3) Provide safety gear helmets, face masks and bullet-proof vests.

It is always better to over-prepare than to be ill-prepared.

As a journalist, the experience has not only given me great stories to share but also enlarged my perspective of life.

To date, the violence in Somalia shows no sign of abating. Fighting, terrorist attacks and indiscriminate shelling are causing death and destruction.

I believe the people of Somalia are grateful for Malaysia's generosity. As we give, we receive and we learn. We learn to guard our peace and harmony. We learn to be united as 1Malaysia.

Let's celebrate what we have achieved in our 54 years of independence and strive to bring continued prosperity to Malaysia. And please, no hidden agenda, no political mileage.

Thank you all for your love and concern. I am truly overwhelmed by the support I have received the encouraging calls, SMS, and Facebook messages, especially from fellow Malaysians I have not met.

I am still recuperating from the experience but I have a renewed perspective of life. I now see my glass as half full rather than half empty.

> Melissa Ong is a broadcast journalist and newscaster with ntv7

Related Stories:

Cutting down on the risks
________________________________________

© 1995-2011 Star Publications (Malaysia) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)

No comments: